Date of Birth:
Pronouns: She/Her
Height:
Plotter:

150 Posts
30 Threads

Gateways of Perception

The facts

Shubnam. A name familiar to many, whose meaning is however unclear. Most will agree it's a new drug, spreading among 'edgy' students and others mingling with the (admittedly, quite limited) local underground scene. Some will say they've tried it; reporting psychedelic trips, in most cases; or otherwise stating they felt no immediate effect, but that it changed the nature of their dreams. Almost no-one will agree on its exact nature, however: someone claiming it's a pill, or a powder, or an ink you paint on your skin. Someone says Shubnam is a music file, whose perusal causes hallucinations; someone says it's a dance, or a poem, or a sequence of numbers. Some will argue it's not a drug, although most will insist it is one. All will agree it's a new trend, and a reason of either concern or fascination, depending on the points of view.

The hooks

Maybe you've used it once, having your unique experience of its shape and effects. Maybe you're the type who'd try anything once, and are looking forwards to put your hands on a sample. Or you hope to turn it into a business, or on the other hand you want to curb its spread... In any event, you should at first get a grasp of what is supposed to be.
Shiny!

Player: Featherstone
Date of Birth: 11th June 1989
Height: 5'5
Plotter: LINK
Characters:

64 Posts
4 Threads

Something strange going on in Sandsbridge? Erika must find out more! She met some people who claimed to have tried the drug, and the divergences in their versions do not cease to amaze her; if only she could uncover the underlying truth, or something that could pass for said truth, now that would make for an awesome story. She already wrote some article about it, although she kept the most colorful (and less rigorous) parts for her own blog.

To say it all, she'd give it a try herself, if she had a chance - only in order to write a first-hand, pure-gonzo report, and totally not for reckless hedonism or inborn randomness.

So, who's coming with her?
Someone please finish what I started
I tried my best, but my best was half-hearted. - Will Butler
Medical Resident

Image Credits:

Player: Opal
Date of Birth: May 5th, 1990
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Height: 5'10"
Characters:

3 Posts
1 Threads

Alix is definitely all over this one. She's the juniorest junior doctor -- they start in July and it's only the end of August -- so as far as she knows it's local normal, but there's still nothing normal about ... well, about whatever it is. She's curious. Usually with new drugs, you see overdoses, and she hasn't heard anyone come in to the ER with that as a reason, nor is any of the local scuttlebutt about adverse effects.

And there have to be some. Eventually there always is one. Her ear's to the ground, and if she happens to run into a curious journalist in the process and have someone to team up with? All the better. She's got to get it figured out before it hurts people, of course!
Sam Jenkins

Image Credits:

Player: Meritania
Date of Birth: ?/?/1998
Height: 5" 7' (1.7m)
Characters:

6 Posts
2 Threads

While she's back in town for a few days, her old high school friends invite Sam to hang with them. After a few drinks on the downlow, someone offers her to try Shubnam.
Administrator

Image Credits: WerbeFabrik

Player:
Date of Birth:
Height:
Plotter:

150 Posts
30 Threads

Sam, do you want to start a scene about that? Feel free to describe her friends and how the drug would appear, if you like. Then I'll take over. Smile
Administrator

Player:
Date of Birth:
Height:
Plotter:

150 Posts
30 Threads

N.B. - both for you and for anyone interested in using Shubnam in any thread: while a lot of people has used it, it's not clear where it comes from and it's not easy to find. So, if an NPCed friend hands you some, they had it from someone who had it from someone...

Image Credits: Aidan Meyer

Player: RaneyDay
Date of Birth: September 1, 1977
Height: 5'7"
Characters:

54 Posts
3 Threads

Would it be possible to obtain a sample of this stuff after busting a user, and take it up to Dr. Hayes to see if I can't get an analysis? Maybe the crime lab is pretty backed up.
Sam Jenkins

Image Credits:

Player: Meritania
Date of Birth: ?/?/1998
Height: 5" 7' (1.7m)
Characters:

6 Posts
2 Threads

I seemed to have lost a post from earlier, I shall rewrite.

As events that bring Sam into the plot can only happen when the 'death of the scholar' becomes public, I shall write Sam's experiences with Shubnam round about that time, unless you didn't mind some anachronism.
Administrator

Player:
Date of Birth:
Height:
Plotter:

150 Posts
30 Threads

The death is about to get public. Your thread would be at the end of the timeline, but you can start it now. I don't want time paradoxes, but as long as we know what's happening when, there's no need to wait for a scene to be over, since it typically takes time! Sam hearing about his death does not depend on any other outcome, since there's no chance it'll stay a secret anyway.
Vlogger at webofweirdness.com

Image Credits: Lesly B. Juarez

Player: Strangehaven
Date of Birth: July 12, 1981
Pronouns: He/Him
Characters:

48 Posts
2 Threads

I'm thinking that word of this 'drug' is what has drawn Joshua o town (he wants to do some investigation and post a video about it). He's not planing on taking it, but he's just interested in the weirdness around it.
Shiny!

Player: Featherstone
Date of Birth: 11th June 1989
Height: 5'5
Characters:

64 Posts
4 Threads

(09-08-2017, 02:38 AM)Joshua Flynn Wrote: I'm thinking that word of this 'drug' is what has drawn Joshua o town (he wants to do some investigation and post a video about it). He's not planing on taking it, but he's just interested in the weirdness around it.

Come and ask Erika! Smile
Vlogger at webofweirdness.com

Image Credits: Lesly B. Juarez

Player: Strangehaven
Date of Birth: July 12, 1981
Pronouns: He/Him
Characters:

48 Posts
2 Threads

(09-08-2017, 06:32 AM)Erika Laing Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 02:38 AM)Joshua Flynn Wrote: I'm thinking that word of this 'drug' is what has drawn Joshua o town (he wants to do some investigation and post a video about it). He's not planing on taking it, but he's just interested in the weirdness around it.

Come and ask Erika! Smile

Will do! Once I figure out the mechanics/etiquette of where I'm supposed to post or if I'm supposed to create a new thread, etc.

Image Credits: https://unsplash.com/photos/Vnm4aweBwPA

Player: whiteflash
Date of Birth: 03/04/1992
Pronouns: He/him
Height: 5'8
Plotter:
Characters:

20 Posts
1 Threads

This is one I'd be interested in joining, once I get my plotter sorted out. I figure Darrel's interested in knowing whether it's dangerous, since he sees fishermen high on it irregularly but with growing frequency. He'd also know how to test it to see what it is, if he could only find the right equipment.
Administrator

Player:
Date of Birth:
Height:
Plotter:

150 Posts
30 Threads

Hey Darren! I was waiting for your plotter, but since we are at it, would you like to join the scene Erika and Joshua are having at the shady club? If you want to be friends with Erika, that'd work easily! By the way, I'll be back to regular activity in the weekend! I'm not gone. Smile

Image Credits: https://unsplash.com/photos/Vnm4aweBwPA

Player: whiteflash
Date of Birth: 03/04/1992
Pronouns: He/him
Height: 5'8
Plotter:
Characters:

20 Posts
1 Threads

(11-09-2017, 08:51 AM)featherstone Wrote: Hey Darren! I was waiting for your plotter, but since we are at it, would you like to join the scene Erika and Joshua are having at the shady club? If you want to be friends with Erika, that'd work easily! By the way, I'll be back to regular activity in the weekend! I'm not gone. Smile

That could be doable. About when did Erika attend college? Darrel graduated about two years ago... or at least that's been my plan for a while. I don't think it's too late to replan, within reason, if it's necessary to make my first scene work.

Or did you picture Erika attending college somewhere other than Willowhill, or meeting Darrel some other way? She could have walked into the Subway and met him, or met him while doing a story on the school, or something. There's probably any number of possibilities, actually, since I'm just listing those off the top of my head.

Either way, I really need to get back to work on my plotter. Especially if there's a scene on right now that I'd work in.
Administrator

Player:
Date of Birth:
Height:
Plotter:

150 Posts
30 Threads

Erika studied somewhere else, however she's supposed to know a lot of people, so the two of you could be just friends of friends? If you found a reason to hang out at the shady club (hint: shubnam), you could meet there by chance. No need for any complicated background. It's just easier to see in game how we interact!