Date of Birth:
Pronouns: She/Her
Height:
Plotter:

153 Posts
30 Threads

Death of a Scholar

The facts

Sir Anthony Elliot-Calthrope was a kindly eccentric; an amateur scholar from the UK, with interests spacing from archaeology to linguistics, and no disdain for less official subjects - indeed, he had a reputation for dabbling with the occult, although he claimed his approach was strictly philological. A well-traveled man, with friends among the elites, but ties in the underworld as well. He'd visited Sandsbridge other times in the past, being mostly impressed by the faded inscriptions on the local ruins. He'd came back two months ago, holding some lectures about his latest discoveries, and especially on similarities between Sandsbridge's maze and other buildings all around the world, both legendary and real. In more private settings, he'd suggested he was close to understanding its inscriptions, which he was definitely persuaded were a language, and not merely a decorative pattern.

Recently, he'd appeared nervous, concerned about something he could not mention; hastily dropping some hint to his researches being wrong and worthless, but without sounding really convinced of what he was suggesting. Eventually, on a warm night of August, he was seen leaving his hotel after midnight, never to come back. The day afterwards, his body was found in the marsh, brutally maimed, although still clearly recognizable.

The hooks

The murder is the biggest news in town since long, so no surprise if all sorts of people could get curious. Moreover, the victim's recent lectures had drawn additional attention both to his studies and to his person; an attention only enhanced by the brutality of his death. Now even those wise enough not to investigate violet crimes on their own (but since when are PCs wise people?) could be wondering what's so special with the local relics; if it's just a coincidence, or if those old stones hide secrets people could kill and die for.

If you're looking for more specific connections, keep in mind Sir Elliot-Calthrope knew many people, and might have revealed additional information to some of them - both on his discoveries and on his concerns. Even if your PC didn't know him in person, they could have been witnesses to something; enough to be a source of information for others, and also to get into troubles.

If you want to join this plot, post under this thread, adding your ideas if you have any. I'll find a way to write you in and, if appropriate, I'll send you whatever additional knowledge you may have.
Scientist

Player: Featherstone
Date of Birth: May 7th 1982
Height: 5'8
Plotter: Link
Characters:

40 Posts
4 Threads

Janet will be involved, whether she likes it or not. She's supposed to be the one who finds the body, during a field trip to the marsh early in the morning; I am currently waiting for another character (supposedly a policeman) to be ready in order to actually start the scene; if any other early bird wants to be there, let me know and we can arrange something.

Well, our resident journalist will totally get involved at some point. She won't be there early in the morning, though; early mornings don't exist in Erika's world.
Shiny!

Player: Featherstone
Date of Birth: 11th June 1989
Height: 5'5
Plotter: LINK
Characters:

66 Posts
4 Threads

Well, our resident journalist will totally get involved at some point. She won't be there early in the morning, though; early mornings don't exist in Erika's world.
Just my lucky day

Image Credits:

Player: BOOT
Date of Birth: April 10th, 1986
Pronouns: He
Height: 5'11"/180cm
Characters:

41 Posts
3 Threads

Steele's in this, whether he likes it or not.
Sam Jenkins

Image Credits:

Player: Meritania
Date of Birth: ?/?/1998
Height: 5" 7' (1.7m)
Characters:

6 Posts
2 Threads

Sam is a family friend of the scholar, who used to use the family hotel before he become a more permanent resident and before the hotel closed down. She will be there to represent the respects of her family at the funeral when it is eventually held.

She is at university out of her town but I plan to include some intrigue in connecting the scholar to her grandmother (maybe in relation to the hotel) in order for her to stick around.
Administrator

Image Credits: WerbeFabrik

Player:
Date of Birth:
Height:
Plotter:

153 Posts
30 Threads

Sam, would you like to have met him not long ago? Recently enough to have information on his latest research? So I could hand you some extra information OOC, and you'd be a good subject to interrogate. ^^
Sam Jenkins

Image Credits:

Player: Meritania
Date of Birth: ?/?/1998
Height: 5" 7' (1.7m)
Characters:

6 Posts
2 Threads

I think she would have remembered him when she was a child/early teen but has probably not seen him in a few years, she might know of his general obsessions and bits and pieces he explored years back but anything current she would not know about.

Image Credits: Aidan Meyer

Player: RaneyDay
Date of Birth: September 1, 1977
Height: 5'7"
Characters:

54 Posts
3 Threads

Steele, you wanna maybe meet at the local cop bar and talk about this case when you're done finding the body?

Oh hey, would it also be possible for Justine to maybe have known the vic while he was alive? Might give her a personal stake.
Administrator

Player:
Date of Birth:
Height:
Plotter:

153 Posts
30 Threads

Not a surprise if she knew him, for what I'm concerned. Smile
Just my lucky day

Image Credits:

Player: BOOT
Date of Birth: April 10th, 1986
Pronouns: He
Height: 5'11"/180cm
Characters:

41 Posts
3 Threads

(09-02-2017, 03:47 PM)Justine Carter Wrote: Steele, you wanna maybe  meet at the local cop bar and talk about this case when you're done finding the body?

I get the feeling that the whole body thing somehow leaks to the public way too quickly - no idea what Featherstone was planning, but that's been the vibe I have been getting here! Justine might actually learn about it first there, though not 100% sure about that yet.

Steele would talk to Justine if she asked, though. Just need a good place for hush-hush.

Do we still have The Very British Pub or whatever it even was that was namedropped on one probably very long day with very little sleep, Featherstone?
Administrator

Player:
Date of Birth:
Height:
Plotter:

153 Posts
30 Threads

Don't ask how information leaks. It does. It's not something one can help. As for the pub: yes, there is! Do you want that as the typical place for the Police to meet?

Image Credits:

Player:
Date of Birth:
Pronouns:
Height:
Plotter:
Characters: Steele

12 Posts
1 Threads

Haa, well you know it's my favorite, at least!
Administrator

Player:
Date of Birth:
Height:
Plotter:

153 Posts
30 Threads

So go ahead and describe it as you like. Smile

Image Credits: Aidan Meyer

Player: RaneyDay
Date of Birth: September 1, 1977
Height: 5'7"
Characters:

54 Posts
3 Threads

Awesome! Look forward to RPing with you!