Player: Featherstone
Date of Birth: 11th June 1989
Pronouns: She/Her
Height: 5'5
Plotter: LINK
Characters:

66 Posts
4 Threads

"Hey, cheer up! It'll be much better than running after shapeshifters in the dead of night!"

Not a good subject for a joke, but - too late!

Meanwhile, they'd got closer to the club - and to the actual mill, curse and inspiration of that neighborhood.
The club was just opening, it seemed. Not much people, yet, but from the open door came an echo of someone deluded they were the new Cabaret Voltaire. Industrial music, that was good when it was good, but a pain in any other case.

"...it's like tv, you know? Sometimes you wonder why they don't just show old movies over and again, when they're short of tolerable ideas. Thing is, it's not something you do anyway - you must spawn new stuff even though nobody believes they'll be good".

Wait, has she forgotten to provide any context?

"I'm talking about music. Industrial music. On the other hand, it's from mistakes and failed attempts that new great ideas can arise. Also, if I really wanted to listen to Einsturzende Neubauten all night I could just go home... Mind if I smoke, before we get in? I don't remember if you smoke?"
Vlogger at webofweirdness.com

Image Credits: Lesly B. Juarez

Player: Strangehaven
Date of Birth: July 12, 1981
Pronouns: He/Him
Height: 5'10"
Characters:

49 Posts
2 Threads

"I don't smoke, but feel free to." Joshua never felt the need to try cigarettes or any other form of nicotine. Perhaps it was his naturally energetic nature or the fact that he never really felt compelled to succumb to peer pressure. "You know, don't knock chasing after shapeshifters at night. It's a lot more fun than it sounds like." He chuckled lightly, bumping Erika's shoulder with his own in a gesture of solidarity. "Clubs are just not my scene. The loud music, the lights. I'd rather listen to music at home. I know, it's not about listening, but experiencing the whole vibe." He shrugged.
Shiny!

Characters:

66 Posts
4 Threads

The place was still quiet for a supposedly busy hub of edginess. But of course, early. Bad guys don't go clubbing early. She took a tin box from her purse - it had an old fashioned advert on it, one with pin ups and shiny colors. It used to contain candies, now it was her cigarette box. A good choice!

"You know what? I don't really like clubbing, not the actually being in a club part, I mean. I like the idea of it... don't you ever feel you're doing what you're doing only so that you have a story to tell? It's like when concept artists care about the idea, not so much about the physical object they produce. It's... that, but applied to life".

She took a cig out of the box. It was hand-rolled, she liked those better. Not being that good or fast at rolling, however, she tried to take care of that in advance.

Except when she forgot it.

But, this time she'd done that right!

"So, that's what cigarettes are for. Not for the concept, I mean, although they could play a role as well... But, they're really handy when you're tired of dancing, you want to go out, you want an excuse that's sleek and smooth".

Damn, that wasn't all that funny? What was she doing? Mental masturbation, meet awkward irrelevant confession. She lit her cigarette.

(Her lighter was a standard black thing, she desperately needed a better one).

"Well, maybe well get some shapeshifter here too? They're supposed to be rad, aren't they?"

Some people were starting to get in. They could do the same. Not yet, though. Let's smoke and breath a little longer.

Characters:

49 Posts
2 Threads

"I understand what you're saying. " Joshua's expression indicated that at least he thought he did. "For me it's the knowing. You can read about something, or you can go out and experience it first hand. It's not the specifics what you're trying to find, but the fact that you're trying to find, to understand it at all. That's the thing that keeps me going."

He wasn't sure if he was really making sense, but he felt it, deep inside. So what if he was bad at articulating it.

"We're more likely to find a vampire here than a shapeshifter, if you buy all the usual tropes. Which I don't, just for the record. And I mean what's the chance of a vampire living here in a small town. They would probably want to live someplace with a larger food supply."

Realizing he was rambling, Joshua trailed off, letting awkward silence reign for several moments.

"We may have our hands full with tracking down whoever is pushing this Shubnam drug.Drugs are usually backed by organized crime. We need to be really careful with this."
Shiny!

Characters:

66 Posts
4 Threads

She nodded, more preoccupied with her cig than with whatever he was saying. She did need a new lighter, as soon as possible. Well, one of those days. Actually, no rush.

...and mayyyybe she was supposed to listen to Josuha, right? Right! "Sure, sure... well, at least we're not the ones supposed to catch them. Wait, what is that?"

Inside, some girl shrieking. And out of the door flew a couple of bats, soon disappearing in the darkening sky.

"No vampire zone, you said? I guess you might be wrong".

Characters:

49 Posts
2 Threads

Joshua blinked, "Were those....bats?" It's not that he hadn't seen bats before, but the incongruity of them flying out of a nightclub took him by surprise. 

"You gotta be kidding me." 

Either those were bats (meaning someone had brought then into the club, likely some goth blood doll wanna be) or they were, indeed, vampires who had transformed into bats to escape. Most people would just assume the former and never give a thought to the latter. Joshua, however, was not most people.

"C'mon, let's go see what happened."

He grabbed Erika by the hand (avoiding the lit cigarette) and started moving into the club.
Shiny!

Characters:

66 Posts
4 Threads

Well, they looked like bats at least? And sure, bats were ordinary animals, nothing special about them, but what the fuck were they doing in a club?

"Dunno, they don't really look like the club's new attraction".

Clubgoers, at least, didn't look all that amused.

She almost bumped into Arlene, as they got in. Arlene, rushing towards the door all stupified. Arlene and her godawful plastic dreadlocks - electric blue, they were tonight. Electric Blue, wasn't that a song in Everything Now? She had still mixed feelings about that album, but mayyyyyybe at the moment they all had bigger concerns than whether the Arcade Fire had jumped a particularly nasty shape of shark.

So. Electric Blue. Arlene. "Arlene!" "Erika! You wouldn't miss this one, would you?" "Well, it seems I did miss something... Special effects of awesome, or is this place's hygiene even shittier than it seems?"

Arlene bit her lip, moved as to scratch her head, a gesture impeded by her huge synthetic hairdo.

"Oh, by the way! This is Joshua, he's from New York, no less!"

Characters:

49 Posts
2 Threads

Joshua waggled his fingers at Arlene, "Hey there," was all he could muster given the circumstances. He moved his attention to the club proper peering at his surroundings, trying to get a glimpse of something that was really out of place.

Image Credits: https://unsplash.com/photos/Vnm4aweBwPA

Player: whiteflash
Date of Birth: 03/04/1992
Pronouns: He/him
Height: 5'8
Plotter:
Characters:

23 Posts
1 Threads

Darrel did his best to act casual as he strolled toward the club. It wasn't his usual choice of hangouts. Part of the reason he was there anyway was that he was curious about Shubnam and thought this was a good place to start, and part of it was that even he realized he needed to get out more. Of course, he could probably have picked a better neighborhood to get out to; the few people in his circle of friends in college who'd had any experience with the place had said it was a lot safer than you'd expect, but those shrieks he'd heard as he walked up said something entirely different. But hey: he wanted to know about Shubnam. It wasn't likely to come to him at work, except in the form of a junkie or two every few months who couldn't tell him much about it.

Darrel's eyes stopped on an electric blue hairdo for a second, and then he recognized a reporter he'd spoken to on the street once or twice speaking to the woman with the blue hair. Oh, hey, Ericka must be doing an interview here. Maybe she's wondering about the same subject I am. I wonder if I should say hi? After she's done with that conversation, of course.
Shiny!

Characters:

66 Posts
4 Threads

Arlene, is there something you want to tell us, or are you just overly impressed by having guests from New-York-no-less? And awesomely bearded, no arguing with that.

"Nice to meet you".

And wasn't there some other familiar face? Of course there was. That was Sandsbridge, and that was good old Clay Prep.

"...well, no special effect, unless everyone's lying about it. But, well, I was there at that freakin' toilet so I had a good sight of it and..."

Now placing faces out of context was a different matter. She waved, however, just in case...

"...yeah... I'll tell you, but I could do with a drink first..."

"Cool, drinks are always a good plan!" - and there, for some kind of food-drink connection. The sandwich guy! Darren, or something like that? Yay! She waved again, as they were heading in the same direction anyway. Hey, more people brought more gossip, didn't they?

Characters:

49 Posts
2 Threads

Joshua just followed Erika and Arlene, keeping his hands stuffed into his pockets and his mouth shut.  Bats had just flown right out of the door of the club.  Freaking bats! Maybe, just maybe in NYC someone would be crazy enough to smuggle a bunch of bats into a nightclub and release them as part of a performance art piece or a prank or something. But in small town Sandsbridge? That seemed highly unlikely. And why wasn't there a stream of patrons running in terror from the bats? Joshua had seen crowds frightened by a flock of birds in the middle of the day, and a cloud of bats in a crowded nightclub in the dark was something that almost certainly would get people riled up.

But why hadn't it?

Joshua was starting to get a bit uneasy at how comfortable the town seemed with the strange and the weird goings on. Perhaps this was his own paranoia, but no one seemed to find these odd occurrences to be out of place. Erika was understandable. She seemed the same as she was the last time they had met, - carefree, energetic, and above all curious.  She was a born investigator with a drive to get to the truth. It was something they both had in common.

But what about the locals? Why did they seem oblivious to the odd goings on? Was it just denial, or something more sinister going on?

Joshua shook off his reverie and turned his attention back to his surroundings, following Arlene and Erika over to the bar.

Plotter:
Characters:

23 Posts
1 Threads

Oh. She's waiting for me? All right then.

Darrel walked over to the table with Ericka, the electric blue girl, and the man he didn't recognize. He arrived just as Ericka was suggesting ordering drinks. "Hey, Ericka. How're you doing? I didn't want to interrupt, but I saw you waving, and... Uh, well, hi."

"You said drinks sounded like a good idea?"
Shiny!

Characters:

66 Posts
4 Threads

Now, Mike wasn't what you'd call a good barista. What he lacked in skills, however, he thought he could make up for in sheer generosity. Or maybe he'd just become the barkeep he'd wished he'd met when he was younger - younger and craving for less ice and fanciness, and more brutally powerful booze.

"Hey Mike! A Long Island for me!"

She had to warn Joshua, though. "Here one just goes for the strongest stuff" - now, she knew better cocktail places in Sandsbridge, too, but they hadn't picked that place because of quality.

They were there to work, that's why she was trying to get drunk as fast and as cheaply as possible, right? Maybe she could've chosen something more reasonable, Mike's Long Island was essentially gasoline to burn your brain with, but - whatever.

Meanwhile, Arlene had asked for "something strong", not even pretending she had tastes to please.
"So, you all wanna know about the bat guys, right? I swear, it's not like I'm high on anything. And hi!"

"Hi Darren!" Darren, right? Well, hopefully. "We were talking about bats, and people... it does look like an interesting night!"

Characters:

49 Posts
2 Threads

Joshua begged off ordering anything alcoholic. He briefly contemplated a coffee, but figured that a club like this probably didn't serve anything that lacked booze.

As Darren took a seat, Joshua waved politely, "Hey, I'm Joshua. A friend of Erika's from out of town."  His attention was immediately drawn to Arlene when she piped up about the 'bat guys'.

"Absolutely, tell us all about them. And don't worry, we don't think you're high...we saw the bats come flying out of the club."  He looked to Erika hoping that she would provide some sort of confirmation that hopefully could allay Arlene's fears.

Plotter:
Characters:

23 Posts
1 Threads

Oh, great. I get to explain that I don't drink to a couple of perfect strangers. "I don't suppose there's any chance I could get a Mountain Dew? Livewire, ideally?" Darrel asked, trying and failing to make it sound like a joke.

Quote:So, you all wanna know about the bat guys, right? I swear, it's not like I'm high on anything. And hi!"

"Bat guys" is an odd thing to say. "I'm not high" is an oddly specific denialDarrel looked Arlene's face over carefully, looking for anything off in her expression. And they're both odder for the fact that I believe she's not high.

Quote:Hi Darren!" Darren, right? Well, hopefully. "We were talking about bats, and people... it does look like an interesting night!"

"It's Darrel," he corrected in a small voice. Tiny faux paux or not, I'm sure she's sober. Not sure she's planning to stay that way, but that's beside the point. So there really were bats? That would explain the shrieking. Although shouldn't there have been more of it, if Vlad Tepes's private aviary got loose?

Quote:"Hey, I'm Joshua. A friend of Erika's from out of town."
Darrel nods. "Hey. I'm Darrel. I... ran into her on the street once."

Quote:"Absolutely, tell us all about them. And don't worry, we don't think you're high...we saw the bats come flying out of the club."

"I think I missed that, actually. I heard some shrieks as I was walking up, but I wasn't able to see the door from where I was standing, and... well, what happened?" He turns to Arlene. "Don't worry, though, I don't think you're high. I know what high looks like."
Shiny!

Characters:

66 Posts
4 Threads

"Darrel! Of course!"

She facepalmed. Her life needed proofreading. Did anyone facepalm that theatrically, before internet and memes?

Meanwhile, Mike had made her drink, and was pouring some sort of soda. Mountain Dew, as a name, made her think to Moonshine. Not that she was in the mood overthinking names or brands. She was more interested in whatever Arlene had seen, although she felt her idea of soberness was sorta subjective.

"So... okay, that was actually weird, not sayin' it was not". She sipped whatever concoction she'd got. "I was like... well, I got to the toilet, nothing special there, and I see this couple getting inside together. Pretty high, they looked, and I thought I was going to wait for long because of course but well, long story short, they don't get out but two freakin' bats fly out in their place. I mean, if they're magicians they're good at that".

Which made her think, she was still looking for a toilet since earlier on. Not that she hoped to turn into a bat.
Someone please finish what I started
I tried my best, but my best was half-hearted. - Will Butler

Characters:

49 Posts
2 Threads

"This sounds just like that crazy guy we saw on our way over here. We turn a corner and poof he's gone and there is just this dog there." Joshua looked to Erika for some sort of confirmation, to let the others know that he was telling the truth. "I don't know what's going on here, but one time is a coincidence, two times is a pattern. Something is happening and we need to get to the bottom of it!"

By 'we' he meant at a minimum Erika and himself. He didn't know if Darrel was interested, but he was pretty sure that Arlene had had enough weirdness for the evening.

Plotter:
Characters:

23 Posts
1 Threads

(12-10-2017, 04:04 PM)Erika Laing Wrote: "Darrel! Of course!"

She facepalmed. Her life needed proofreading. Did anyone facepalm that theatrically, before internet and memes?
Darrel shrugged casually, hoping Ericka would just shrug the awkward moment off too. And then he raised his eyebrows at her dramatic facepalm. Wow. She's like a character out of a Shakespeare play.
Quote:Meanwhile, Mike had made her drink, and was pouring some sort of soda. Mountain Dew, as a name, made her think to Moonshine. Not that she was in the mood overthinking names or brands. She was more interested in whatever Arlene had seen, although she felt her idea of soberness was sorta subjective.
Darrel stares at his drink in honest surprise. He finally tastes it to see that it's actually soda, and not... whatever alcohol is the same color as Orange Mountain Dew? There has to be at least one kind of alcoholic drink that can pass at a glance. But passing at a taste is a lot harder. "Huh. In my experience most restaurants don't carry Livewire. Well, I might make a habit of coming here." He nods to the barman. "Thanks."
Quote:"So... okay, that was actually weird, not sayin' it was not". She sipped whatever concoction she'd got. "I was like... well, I got to the toilet, nothing special there, and I see this couple getting inside together. Pretty high, they looked, and I thought I was going to wait for long because of course but well, long story short, they don't get out but two freakin' bats fly out in their place. I mean, if they're magicians they're good at that".

Which made her think, she was still looking for a toilet since earlier on. Not that she hoped to turn into a bat.

Darrel took a slow, experimental drink from his glass to make doubly sure he hadn't missed anything off about the taste. When he didn't find any extra flavoring, he forced himself not to say the phrase this town has gone batso.

"So... how were they acting that made you think they were high? And... what do you think they were on?"

Quote:"This sounds just like that crazy guy we saw on our way over here. We turn a corner and poof he's gone and there is just this dog there."

Darrel took a third slow drink to weigh the taste of his beverage, and looked at it with some confusion when he failed to taste anything off.
Shiny!

Characters:

66 Posts
4 Threads

Now it was Arlene's time to show her best surprised face. Those seemed to be in fashion that night, weren't they?

"What they're high on? You know, I kinda forgot to ask them, when they got out all bat-formed and all. Guess you can't blame me for that? And yeah, I know it does look like crazy..."

Characters:

49 Posts
2 Threads

"I have a better question. Who were they and where do they live? Did anyone recognize them?" If they were going to get some answers, they needed to get something more than hearsay. Hopefully Arlene would be able to warm up what was starting to look like a very cold lead.
Shiny!

Characters:

66 Posts
4 Threads

Good question, indeed! Arlene might be all excited about her bats, but understanding who those guys were could be actually useful. She drank the last drops of her so-called Long Island. Yeah, "useful" wasn't a bad thing.

"The girl, I think I kinda knew her... not entirely sure, tho. D'ya know the girl who was dating Phil for, like, a month last year? The one with the religious mania or something?"

"Jess?"

She remembered that Jess. Well, not really her, but all the talking Phil had done about her.

"That could be... Never talked to her personally, but I'd seen her around. And, well, she sorta looked like her, although I can't really swear. Different hair, thinner, not in a good way... but it could've been her. Didn't say hi, but okay, she was all busy with this dude, one I'd never seen before. I hadn't seen her for ages, too, by the way, any idea what she was doing at all?"

"Other than pretending to be a philosopher and driving Phil nuts in record time? No idea, she entirely disappeared from my radar after that... Darrel, ever heard about her, perhaps?"

She glanced at Joshua. A glance that was supposed to be meaningful. Although, glances can be only meaningful up to a point. Anyway, talking about common acquaintances could be not so fun towards newcomers, but that sort of local gossip had at least a chance to add up to their list of useful things.

Plotter:
Characters:

23 Posts
1 Threads

"I remember a Jess who acted about like that from school. I didn't know her well: I only ever saw her at parties back before I graduated, and I didn't go to too many of those."

"It's kinda weird that she's high on... whatever it was. She didn't even drink too much when I knew her."
Darrel took another gulp of Mountain Dew. "Which was cool. Then again I didn't know her that well, and haven't even seen her in years. So, she might have changed, or she might have been a bit wilder while I wasn't watching. The last time I saw her... Huh. I was trying to sell my old laptop to her roommate. Lexie."

Darrel chuckles a bit. "I didn't realize Jess lived there until I was already there. I..." He stopped himself, not sure whether or not his current company would be pleased to hear that he seriously considered wearing a t-shirt that says Jesus Saves: He Takes Half Damage. Or that he once owned one. Or that he still had it. "Well, it's not important. Just reminiscing about fashion choices. Anyway, I still have Lexie's number. Should we try that?"

Characters:

49 Posts
2 Threads

Joshua quietly listened to the discussion about things he couldn't really relate to - Jess, Lexie and small town high school. He caught a concerned glance from Erika, and flashed her a reassuring smile to let her know that despite not having much to contribute, he was keenly interested in the table conversation.

After Darrel explained his connection with Lexie Joshua chimed in, "Yeah, go ahead and call her. See if she has time to talk." He paused then added as an afterthought, "Tell her we had some questions about Jess. We..I mean you are concerned after seeing her at the club. I'd leave out any mention of drugs or bats though."

Plotter:
Characters:

23 Posts
1 Threads

(01-09-2018, 01:52 AM)Joshua Flynn Wrote: Joshua quietly listened to the discussion about things he couldn't really relate to - Jess, Lexie and small town high school. He caught a concerned glance from Erika, and flashed her a reassuring smile to let her know that despite not having much to contribute, he was keenly interested in the table conversation.

After Darrel explained his connection with Lexie Joshua chimed in, "Yeah, go ahead and call her. See if she has time to talk."
Darrel reached into his pocket for his phone and pressed a number sequence into the screen. He opened his contact list...
Quote:He paused then added as an afterthought, "Tell her we had some questions about Jess. We..I mean you are concerned after seeing her at the club. I'd leave out any mention of drugs or bats though."

Darrel lowered his phone a bit.

"Wait, but... I get why we're not talking about the bats, but if we're not mentioning that she was high, what do I tell her was I concerned about? Being concerned that she was slipping into a bathroom with someone at a club sounds a bit... ah... " He closed his eyes trying to think of a good word to use.
Shiny!

Characters:

66 Posts
4 Threads

Both guys had a point, now how to call Lexie while making just enough sense to get what they needed?

"Hm, let's keep bats out of the scene, they sound like an excellent idea to sound like a joke... No offense, Arlene! It's just... Well! Why don't we just say she disappeared with some shady dude, and didn't look all that happy?"

Which was, technically, almost true, although one could discuss whether bats were an allegory of doom or happiness or whatnot... time to look for animal symbology across cultures and subcult- Well, maybe tomorrow!

"And, I mean, there's always time to say we mistook her for someone else. Or was it the other way around? Anyway... that!"

The Long Island was doing its job, although at a second thought that wasn't literally what she needed. Or did she? It didn't matter too much at that point, everything was going well one way or another.

Characters:

49 Posts
2 Threads

"Right. We can say that we saw her leave with some shady dude and that we're concerned for her safety. We can push on the drug angle when it seems like it makes sense to do so." He shrugged, "Sorry, it's just an interview technique where you start with the softball stuff then toss in the more controversial things after you have established a bit of rapport. You know Lexi better than we do, just go with the flow and see if she knows anything."

Plotter:
Characters:

23 Posts
1 Threads

"Okay. Sounds like we have a plan. Thanks." He flashed an appreciative smile, tapped his phone screen (which had darkened to warn him it was about to re-lock) and pressed Lexie's name in his contact list. He was about to press the Call button when he stopped and looked around. "We should probably go outside for this, to block the music. It might make it harder for me and Lexie to hear each other."
Shiny!

Characters:

66 Posts
4 Threads

"So we do have a plan!"

Yeah, a phone call from the bar wasn't a good idea, so going out was the right way to start... whatever they were doing. Her empty glass back on the counter, not before fishing for an ice cube to chew.

"Neat. Gotta grab more booze first, though"

And while Arlene got her shiny new glass from Mike - plastic glass this time, of course you don't want your customer to go wander too much with your previous or not-so-precious glassware... while Arlene took care of her needs, what about her? Did she need more alcohol, or less? A trip to the toilet, she wouldn't have minded that, but the conversation seemed to have moved on, so... next time!

More cigs. She could do with that. As they headed out (at least, she did - was everyone following?) she reached for her unspecial reserve. Hand-rolled, pre-rolled - really she wouldn't bet on her ability to make herself one right there.

Characters:

49 Posts
2 Threads

Joshua stayed close behind Erika as they weaved their way through the crowd, following Darrel on his quest for a quieter place outside to make the call. The club was crowded with tipsy patrons and it was gong to be a challenge to get outside without bumping into someone or getting someones drink knocked over or being splashed by the beer of a drunk patron. Joshua kept a close eye on those around them letting Erika and Darrel scout the path forward. On more than a few occasions he found his hand pressing against Erika's waist, gently nudging her left or right in an attempt to avoid a collision or a glass being waved about drunkenly. It was an unconscious gesture, a protective one that persisted until the trio was safely outside the club.

Plotter:
Characters:

23 Posts
1 Threads

Darrel quickly chugged his drink before he got up, and nodded to Arlene as he got up. "Thanks for the information. This was... an interesting conversation. We'll let you know if we learn anything."

He got up and followed Ericka. When they got out of the bar he looked around for a place out of the way and quiet but still fairly well lit. He wound up standing under a lamppost on the sidewalk, a short distance away from the line but still on the same street and within sight of the club. "This seems like a good spot." He took out his phone again. "Okay. Let's do this." He unlocked his phone and pressed the call button in his contacts list, hoping that the number he had for Lexie was still good.