Player: Featherstone
Date of Birth: 11th June 1989
Pronouns: She/Her
Height: 5'5
Plotter: LINK
Characters:

58 Posts
4 Threads

And so she drove. Out of the old town, out of its nostalgic architecture - even the many nondescript, bland modern building being nostalgic after a fashion, as if they contemplated their missed chances; what they were supposed to be and what they were not. She drove past the college and its neighborhood, she crossed the bridge - the wide, solid product of rational engineering who'd taken the place of that other one, the one that probably never existed.

"Do you know why it's called ‘Sandsbridge', don't you?

A story so obvious for anyone brought up there. Mostly ignored, however, by anyone else. I could write about it, why not? It felt parochial, small, trite, tired. Such small bits of obviousness, however, were often charming to outsiders. There were people willingly visiting Sandsbridge, after all.
Someone please finish what I started
I tried my best, but my best was half-hearted. - Will Butler
Vlogger at webofweirdness.com

Image Credits: Lesly B. Juarez

Player: Strangehaven
Date of Birth: July 12, 1981
Pronouns: He/Him
Height: 5'10"
Characters:

44 Posts
2 Threads

"Um...sort of. I read something about old ruins, a bridge. Honestly, I just read a quick overview of the town before heading here. Care to enlighten me?"

Joshua had read a bit about the town, but he couldn't recall anything weird enough that stuck in his memory. Lots of small towns had local legends about a haunted this or a scary that. He didn't remember anything about Sandsbridge that was so out there as to be very memorable.
Shiny!

Characters:

58 Posts
4 Threads

"The legend says our first settlers - they were looking for a good area for fishing, you know, and for hunting and trapping, but mainly fishing... Anyway!, they landed here and they found a village, built like an old, European one, but entirely deserted".

They were past the bridge, now. At distance, the decrepit shape of the old mill. Buildings shabbier, more rundown - not that they were entirely shabby; it was visible, however, that you went and lived there when other neighborhoods were too expensive for you. She'd got a place there, too, although not in the sketchiest street, by far.

"Nobody had a clue what place was that. No sign of its previous inhabitants, no other town knew about them. The craziest thing, however, was the bridge: a bridge made by sand, that however looked solid like a real one".

There was a thin line between "edgy" and "sketchy". Let's say, a good way to look edgy was opening a bar or club in a sketchy area. Like the one they were entering now. Just close to the mill - houses, mostly empty - like the old village, except entirely different. Lots of dives. And a few places where you could actually go.

"A few of them walked on it, they could cross the river just fine. I guess they hoped to use it - I mean, they were practical people, not all that impressed by fairy tales - or by literally meeting fairies, you know, since what they was facing wasn't precisely a tale... Anyway! The day afterwards, it was gone. There was some pieces of a collapsed stone bridge, but that was it. Anyway, here we are!".

She parked - too abruptly? - in sight of the Clay Prep. A squat building that made its best to look older and shadier than it was. "Do you know the mill was a brick factory, actually? And, you know, someone says it's haunted". Also, it was closed. Not the mill - of course the mill was closed. The Clay Prep - no lights, no music. Because, of course, no self-respecting fake-shady club opened that early. "And we're stupidly late. And I forgot there's a thing called dinner! Hm, I guess we're doomed to some terrible sandwich place?".

Characters:

44 Posts
2 Threads

Joshua listened to Erika's tale with interest. When she mentioned the part about the settlers finding a preexisting village he asked, "Is there documentation of this? Evidence? Not pictures I mean, but drawings or journals or is this all word of mouth legend?"

Evidence would move the urban legend into the realm of Fortean phenomena. Joshua idly wondered if there were other, similar stories and if so who were the previous inhabitants. Vikings? As they pulled to a stop before the Clay Prep, Joshua stuck his heads out the window and peered at the non descript building.

"Late? Late for what? Some sort of secret drug deal?" It wasn't the big city, but this looked like the sort of part of town that one would find a shady drug deal going down.

At the mention of dinner Joshua realized that he was indeed getting a bit hungry. "Um, if this were New York we wouldn't have a problem. You know better than I do what our food options are. I guess this town really shuts down at night, huh?"
Shiny!

Characters:

58 Posts
4 Threads

Late? Fuck.

A pause. She stared at him. "Late. For yesterday's party, we're horribly late. For today, however? We're early. Ridiculously early. No shady club worth its rep would open this early? Right? Also, I misplace words. And things. And we need dinner".

Because, they could do without that; without the sad exploration of what a mess she could be. She messed up stuff. Not in a cute way. Also, she was hungry. Hungry as you only get when you occasionally forget you're hungry.

"So... The good thing about this place is that we have a college. Which means students. Which means, places where you can drink and eat horrible stuff at ridiculous hours. And drugs, too, but you know about that... I mean, nothing like New York, but we cope. Is it just my impression or the word 'coping' is in fashion? I - I think if we go for a walk, we can find some Horrible Sandwich Place TM - local cuisine, you know. At least, it's the first thing that comes to mind. By the way. We were talking about something. Before sammiches. Sandsbridge?"

He had asked something, something that probably mattered. She couldn't really remember, though.

Characters:

44 Posts
2 Threads

"Dinner sounds good. I'm not picky. Pizza or burgers work, or anything else. I'm easy."

It made sense that they would start their investigation at a nightclub. Probably the go to place in town to buy drugs. Erika seemed confused and Joshua idly wondered if it was some sort of low blood sugar thing. He playfully bumped shoulders and flashed her a friendly smile to let her know that everything was really ok.

"Evidence. I was asking if the stories about the town have any evidence, or are they just local legends and rumors." He pulled his iPhone out of his breast pocket and flashed it to Erika. "Evidence makes good video...for the channel. You know, pictures of old writings or ruins or whatever. My viewers are always interested in the mysteries of a small town."

He pocketed his phone and looked at Erika again.
Shiny!

Characters:

58 Posts
4 Threads

"Let's keep our eyes open, just in case something edible appears!"

They walked, apparently aimlessly. None of the dives looked like a place were you'd buy food - even if they sold any, that'd surely came with serious drawbacks. Now, that didn't mean Erika had never ended up dining there, if chips and peanuts from the counter could be called a dinner. Not all her experiences were advisable, though - actually it must be a very sad place that where you start seeing your life as a cautionary tale, and she wasn't there at all (or not yet?), but - a few episodes, those did count as cautionary tales.

"Evidences? Well, go ahead and shoot whatever! Except bullets, or fire!" She waved to the camera "Our ancestors, however, were not that lucky. Not just because they couldn't have Apple products, I mean - it seems that the story I just told you wasn't very well documented to start with, and then what little they had was lost after the Salem trials. It's odd we refer to that episode as 'Salem trials', actually - Sandsbridge had its own crimes, its own mass hysteria... The result was, among other things, the destruction of most past records. Yeah, it's surprising these facts never got too much attention. I guess 'Salem's just easier to spell - you know? I read somewhere that the popularity of something is significantly influenced by how easy their name is - it was an articles about artists, however, with Picasso being advantaged in comparison to Wassily Wassilyevich Kandinsky... Look, that over there! It looks like a place where they'd sell sliced pizza".

It was at some distance, however it did look the part. A few people gathering out of it. At a glance, not all of them too stable on their feet?

Characters:

44 Posts
2 Threads

"That's the way it works. Somewhere else gets all the fame when the real story is no where near there. Could be part of a cover up. You know, your ancestors not wanting Sandsbridge known for all the weirdness so they let Salem take all the credit."

At the mention of the pizza place, Joshua nodded vigorously. "That works. Smells pretty good too. C'mon, let's grab some slices. Dinner's on me!"
Shiny!

Characters:

58 Posts
4 Threads

Fair enough. No matter how much they loved creepy stories today - those actually involved weren't usually all that proud of their uniqueness. Especially back in times when witches were hunted and weirdos were doomed to a destiny much harsher than showing their faces on YouTube. Not precisely the same, but it had some similarity with that other issue, the one about living in interesting times being a curse.

"Don't even try! Dinner's on me - I already owe you a beer, I'd end up owing my soul. And what makes you think I have one? And... that one for me!" Addressing now the vendor, she pointed at a steaming slice of pizza, one covered with an appealingly ominous variety of toppings. Whatever they were, it was yummy. "Thanks!". Fishing now in her purse, now in her pocket, she extracted a bunch of coins and placed them on the counter.

The guy serving them was young, bored, your quintessential student who'd rather be anywhere else than doing his shift.

The group of people in the street was a more interesting bunch. Well, not all of them - the guy in a hoodie holding an extremely drunk redhead, those were quite regular, and so was their mate - skinny, slanted eyes, dark hair with purple streaks. What she was smoking did smell like good stuff, but that was all. However. The interesting part of the scene was the older man who'd approached them. Ranting about something that was, by all appearances, very exciting for him, and not so much for the hapless youngsters.

Loud enough to be heard at distance. "The day will come, when the Gods walk the Earth again..." - and then more slurred speach.

But! Her pizza! She grabbed the saucy slice, not without enthusiasm. Keeping an eye, at the same time, on the ranting man. And on Joshua! Let's not forget about guests!

Characters:

44 Posts
2 Threads

Chuckling, Joshua held up his hands as if Erika had been pointing a gun at him. "Okay..relax...pizza's on you." He selected a steaming slice of pepperoni and a pile of napkins to help soak up the grease that was oozing from the slice. He reached down into the cooler at the vendor's feet and pulled out two frosty cans of soda. He paid the vendor with a few well worn bills and handed a can to Erika.

"Drinks are on me."

Joshua glanced over at the older man who was lecturing the younger kids. He took a tentative bite off his pizza, trying to to burn his mouth. The pie was gooey and savory and while it was no New York slice, it was quite delicious and satisfying. After swallowing (and wiping stray tomato sauce from his beard with a napkin) Joshua nodded his head in the direction of the older man. "Is that your town drunk or your town crazy?" In Manhattan a crazy person preaching religious prophesy was to be found multiple times a day almost anywhere in the city. In a small town like Sandsbridge, Joshua figured that someone like that would be a known local figure.
Shiny!

Characters:

58 Posts
4 Threads

"Why not both?"

The pizza was delicious. Or she was very hungry. Or, why not both?

"Not anyone that I know, though."

The kids, she was sure she'd seen them around - the redhead was called something like Libby or Jessie or... she had no idea, she must've heard her name and forgot it. The others were: faces you've seen around.

The old guy, however? Either she'd never seen him, or she'd seen him sober, and therefore unrecognizable.

"...and he's not someone who'd go unnoticed..."

She grabbed her can of soda. Now, opening it straight away was probably a bad idea - those things were made in hell, or by someone who had an agreement with Big Laundromat. She opened it carefully. Its frothy surface was intriguing, if observed closely: minuscule drops, that you could alter but not entirely remove...

A sudden shriek called her back. The crazy old guy had bared an arm, all covered with scratches and congealed blood. The kids, they'd retreated. You couldn't really blame them.

Characters:

44 Posts
2 Threads

You would think that living in New York city would teach one not to get involved in other people's affairs. While not exceedingly common in the city, it's still a big place and you're likely to witness a mugging or another crime sometime if you live in the city. So, while you may witness someone running down the street chasing after someone else yelling, "Stop them!" you need to give pause. Is the person chasing the criminal, trying to catch up with their victim? Is it the other way around, with the victim chasing after their perpetrator? Is the entire thing a scam, an attempt to lure would be heroes to a secluded location before both parties turn on them. This is why the rule of the city is 'do not get involved'. Calling 911 or flagging down a nearby cop is perfectly fine, but one NEVER gets involved directly in an altercation on the street.

This is why it was surprising when Joshua called out to the strange man, "Hey...stop it...stop scaring those kids." Maybe it was the fact that he was with Erik and felt the need to protect her. Perhaps he was flashing back to his suburban upbringing where one confronted bullies and strange men in an effort to get them to back off. In any event Joshua rose to a commanding presence, his shoulders back and his demeanor completely serious. He wanted the crazy man to understand that he wasn't joking and it wasn't a request. It was an order.
Administrator

Image Credits: WerbeFabrik

Player:
Date of Birth:
Height:
Plotter:

138 Posts
29 Threads

the old man

He turned. "Scare? I'm not scaring them. I'm warning them". His eyes were delirious, his voice however was lucid - maybe, just for the time of a sentence. "The Gods will walk the Earth again. They will, if we grow proud". His tortured arm was in full display, his wounds looking as if he'd tried to peel a long strip of his skin. Meanwhile, the kids had took their chance to leave.

Characters:

44 Posts
2 Threads

Joshua reflexively stepped in front of Erika, shielding her from the strange old man.  "Go away, we don't want any trouble." He thought briefly about making a snarky Lovecraft reference, but figured the crazy guy wouldn't understand it and it might just serve to agitate the man further.
Shiny!

Characters:

58 Posts
4 Threads

What the fuck? "Joshua..." She put a hand on his sleeve. Why that? Why?!

True, the old guy didn't seem threatening, not in terms of physical strength, but he was obviously, clearly, patently unhinged, and that wasn't the time to look for more redundant synonyms (did she use too many redundancies in her writing? Not the right time to worry about that!). You never know what bat shit crazy people could do, and really, it didn't mean she had any prejudice against the mentally ill or addicts or anything (or had she? Time to check her privilege?), but (never say 'but', for fuck's sake) but okay, possibly, probably, admittedly, apologetically, redundantly, she had a problem with gore-drenched psychotics.

Most importantly, she wanted to leave. It was turning boring, in a way.

"I think it's time to go, we're running late..."

...which was sort of ironic, sort of wrong. Not that they were running late. But that she made assumptions on random people's mental issues. She'd been on the receiving end of it, she'd detested it - well, her parents had detested it, we're talking about school time here, but again, she'd sort of detested it by proxy? However, it was a completely different situation! Also, was she implying parents and offspring were each other's proxies? That'd be disturbing. And again, entirely different.

The crazy old guy looked at her, then again at Joshua. "We are running late. We're all running late. Do you think I am troubles?" Louder and louder now. "When the Gods walk the Earth, and you cannot stop them..."

He started picking his wounds. Did Joshua believe in Morgellons? There were things she'd rather not know.

"What 'Gods'?"

Yeah, she'd just said that. That'd been her voice, confirmed. Well, maybe it wasn't that boring after all.

Characters:

44 Posts
2 Threads

"He's crazy, don't egg him on," Joshua whispered to Erika still keeping himself between her and the crazy guy.  This was ironic, since many people though Joshua was crazy, what with his believe in UFO's, government conspiracies, and cryptozoology, just to name a few of the weird subjects that he believed held some truth. He drew the line at literary fiction, however, understanding that some crazy people simply couldn't distinguish between things that there was evidence for and the fictional writings of a sci-fi/fantasy author. Aliens were real, bu Scientology? Pffft. That was bullshit that L. Ron Hubbard made up. The same went for the Cthulhu mythos. Lovecraft came up with all that cosmic bullshit (based partly on previous writer's works like Ambrose Bierce or Robert Chambers). Maybe the crazy guy meant the Ancient Greek gods or the Egyptian. In any event, the notion of gods walking the earth was pure crazy even by Joshua's standards.
Shiny!

Characters:

58 Posts
4 Threads

Hey, thanks, Captain Obvious! Of course he was crazy, of course asking him questions was ill-advised.

However, when on a hunt for strange drugs, keeping an eye on crazies wasn't completely pointless - or was it just her usual way to rationalize? Act before you think, then make up shit on the fly to justify it.

Which wasn't an entirely useless life skill, after all.

The man, still picking his skin, mumbled something. Incomprehensible, at first. Then, words emerged from those shapeless sounds.

"...the Gods... their names, they shape things, but what can shape can destroy..."

There his face twisted, he yelled in pain. He started scratching his arm harder and harder. "Stil here! Still here!" Fresh blood now dripping from his wounds.

Which was... too much? Were they watching him butcher himself and doing what, waiting for the chance to take some cool pic?

"Ok, that's too much". Hopefully, her voice soft enough not to get his attention this time? "I'm calling the 911, then we're leaving". She took out her phone.

Characters:

44 Posts
2 Threads

Joshua nodded, keeping one eye on the old man as Erika called the cops. "He sounds like he's been reading the Necronomicon. The fictional version, not the real one." Joshua didn't elaborate as to what he meant by that, he just kept a wary eye on the man, ready to act if the crazy did anything..well....crazy.

In an attempt to help the situation, Joshua called out to the man. "Relax buddy. The Gods aren't here now. No one is creating or destroying anything today. You look like you need a place to sleep and some food. Help is on the way." 

He hoped his words might calm the man down or at least buy enough time until the cops got there.
Shiny!

Characters:

58 Posts
4 Threads

He looked desperate, really. As if he'd been cornered between them and himself, trapped in his own skin. She withheld the phone, yes she had to make that call, yes they had to leave - but - she had to see what was going on?

As Joshua talked, the man shook his head, tearing his skin harder and harder. Damn, he needed help, he was going to kill himself that way.

All of a sudden, in a display of unexpected and inexplicable energy, he left. He ran away. Sprung away, like a hare or a wind-up ghoul. He disappeared behind a corner, and out of sight.

She was after him. That's a terrible idea. Running towards the direction he'd taken.

Behind the corner, however there was nobody. Just a shadowy alley and a dirty grey dog; one of those you're tempted to call 'shaggy', if the adjective wasn't so abused to be unbearable.

Characters:

44 Posts
2 Threads

"Erika, wait!" Joshua called after her, catching up at the corner of the next block. He expected to see the strange man, possibly cornered in the blind alley but all he saw was the mangy dog and nothing else. "What? Where?" He was at a loss for words, not really sure what had just happened. Had the man come this way or did he run somewhere else?
Shiny!

Characters:

58 Posts
4 Threads

What the actual fuck?

"No idea! He - he went this direction..." Did Joshua see the same as she did?
"You've seen it, right?"

Because now he was nowhere to be seen. And, okay, maybe he'd turned another corner. She wasn't running after him any longer, that for sure. Maybe it was all logical - sure it was all logical!

But even the fact he could run in such a way? Were there drugs that both turned you into a wreck and gave you superspeed?

Meanwhile, even the dog had turned and left, trotting down the ally at its unevenly pace.

Characters:

44 Posts
2 Threads

Joshua nodded, glancing around to make completely certain that the strange man was no longer there. "Maybe he turned invisible...Unless he shapechanged into the dog.." Joshua let the thought trail off. He considered it briefly, but even those ideas were too far out to believe given the circumstances.

"He must have slipped into a hidey hole or a hidden passage or something." He wandered around the area slowly, peering into the darkness but finding nothing.

He moved next to Erika, looking into her eyes as he asked, "Are you okay?" He could tell that she was a little freaked out and hoped to calm her down a bit.
Shiny!

Characters:

58 Posts
4 Threads

Was she okay? Was he okay? He was surely joking. He did not believe in all that dog-invisibility bullshit. She did not befriend someone who believed in dog-invisibility bullshit.

"I'm okay, yeah. I - I just wouldn't have expected he could run that fast" - he could barely stand, a minute earlier! "I'm quite sure he turned some other corner, I'm just not very willing to go and check, at the moment. With all that he was probably high on something... Whoa! I guess I could do with a drink! I believe we'd still be unfashionably early, at the Clay Prep, but I can risk being unfashionable - the question is, could you?"

Was she craving for a drink? For that, and for being in any other place but that. Also, for human contact other than that. Was she okay?

Characters:

44 Posts
2 Threads

Joshua peered around, hoping to find a clue as to where the man went but was unable to find anything. "Yeah, we shouldn't go chasing after him. He was definitely out of his mind." He continued to look around, speaking to Erika as he stared off into the darkness. "A drink sounds good. I don't care if we're late, early, or what." He sighed, returning his attention back to Erika, his reassuring smile reappearing as he gestured for her to lead the way.
Shiny!

Characters:

58 Posts
4 Threads

"Okay, let's go!". She shook her head. To dissipate that extreme, unpleasant sense of weirdness? The impression there was something off, much more than she were willing to admit? And then I mock others for their paranoias. Maybe you couldn't help but get a bit mad, when exposed to too much weirdness. In which case, what kind of absurdities had that old guy witnessed? And, okay, thinking to Cthulhoid abominations was so obvious it wasn't even fun.

"But... I need one more can of soda for the road". She walked towards the vendor once again. Humming One More Cup Of Coffee, then suddenly stopping as she realized she was sort of loud. "Need anything, too?" As she put a can of soda on the counter, she had something else to ask to the bored youngster. "What a day! Do you always get those types?". The young man shrugged. "People high on something? I guess one'd expect those, right? The old guy is a weird one, tho. He was just your random bum. Beggin for food and coins, sometimes, but no big trouble. Then... He found God, or something like that?". He chuckeld. "I guess he just got a new hobby, and not one much good for him".

Characters:

44 Posts
2 Threads

Joshua shook his head, "No, I'm good." He wasn't really 'good'. The incident with the old guy had left him a bit shaken. First there was the apocalyptic ranting about the Gods returning to destroy. The guy's strange disappearance added on top of that was a little too much weirdness for Joshua to shrug it off completely. He didn't want to let Erika know that he was still weirded out, given how badly the whole incident had upset her. He resolved to be the rock, to push aside the past and move forward into normalcy whatever that meant in the odd little town.
Shiny!

Characters:

58 Posts
4 Threads

"Find God before He finds you!" Joking, of course, but her own joke gave her a shiver. The Gods, walking the Earth again. But then of course he was crazy. "Any idea who he was hanging out with, or...?" - but the guy just shrugged. Sure, he had no reason to care about all and every weirdo. Let alone about their Gods.

Time to go to Clay Prep? Sure, that was the plan. Or wasn't it? What were they doing there, anyway?

"Well, we were looking for junkies. We can't expect to find all people sane and stable..."

She walked on, drank her coke. What were they expecting? Well, she had contacts in that world. Not everyone sane and stable, but they weren't like that. However, maybe it just meant the game was getting serious? Maybe.

Characters:

44 Posts
2 Threads

As they walked, Joshua asked Erika, "Are there a lot of crazies here in Sandsbridge? I mean you expect that kind of thing in New York, but in a small town I didn't think..." He trailed off, a bit embarrassed that his big city prejudices were coming through. He quickly changed the subject. "So, this club. Tell me about it. I know we'll be a little early and all, but um what's it like?"
Shiny!

Characters:

58 Posts
4 Threads

"Crazies like what? That one was special, for sure... We're not all that inbred, if that's what you're asking, what we have is a good bunch of eccentrics. Like that Elliot-Calthrope, and the type of people who associated with him".

And shit shit shit she had a few articles to send, just quick updates, nothing big, but - yeah, she could do that during a break. Somehow. She had to.

"As for the club? Do you like industrial music? Yeah, the pun is dreadful, and it's not like we have the raddest DJs, however it's not entirely bad, either. As I said, perks of having a college! And yeah, we're not finding the real mobsters waiting for us, more of some half-breed all too willing to brag. That's why one goes to the Clay Prep - to brag they are bad guys by doing nothing special... precisely the type of people who has too many stories on Shubnam... which would be even cooler, if most of them were not so patently false".
Someone please finish what I started
I tried my best, but my best was half-hearted. - Will Butler

Characters:

44 Posts
2 Threads

"Yeah..I hear you." Joshua avoided the question about industrial music, as it was not a genre he was particularly fond of. Classic rock, modern alternative, rap, hell even some electronica was good, but driving loud industrial? No thanks. It made sense though. The club where the wannabe 'bad guys' went to look tough so you could brag to your friends later how dangerous you were. It wasn't the kind of place that Joshua frequented, but it made total sense that they could find some Shubnam users hanging out there.

"This should be fun," he commented sounded like he was expecting to have little to no fun at all.